1. Home
  2. breadcrumbs separator
  3. breadcrumbs separator
  4. Hazard Reduction Burning

Burning Off and Hazard Reduction


LIGHTING A FIRE on Private Property -  DURING the Bush Fire Danger Period 

[1st October till 31st March]

( Rural Agricultural Burn (not called a Hazard Reduction Burn)

The Bush Fire Period for the Warrumbungle Shire Council area is from the 1st October till 31st March annually. This may be varied, depending on conditions from the Castlereagh Bush Fire Management Committee (BFMC) During the Bush Fire Danger Period you require a FIRE PERMIT issued from the Rural Fire Service ( see your local Captain or ring the Fire Control Centre at Coonabarabran) or for town residents contact your Captain of the NSW Fire & Rescue Brigade. Legal conditions on the Fire Permit, must be followed. Infringement fines will apply if burning without a permit.  For more information see  www.rfs.nsw.gov.au  or contact Castlereagh Zone Office during office hours on 6826 6300 or FAX  6842 2932


During the non Bush Fire Danger Period, Landowners must still give notice when lighting a fire to the RFS and Neighbours: under section 86 of the Rural Fires Act 1997 and Section 33 of the Rural Fire Regulations 2013. To give notice of lighting a fire on your land, you must provide 24 Hours Notice before lighting. Notification is by phone to the Castlereagh Zone,  any time. Leave details of your name, address, location from nearest town, type of burn and period of burn, with a maximum of 3 weeks notice for each burn period.    Fire Notification Line is 1300 557 876


You cannot burn garden or any other rubbish in an incinerator in your backyard, on vacant land or on roads, without permission. You must contact the Rural Fire Service or, if in town, the NSW Fire Brigade, if you are planning to light a fire on your property for fuel reduction purposes.  Hazard Reduction Certificates can be issued to burn on some road side areas controlled by Council, subject to the Rural Fire Service rules and procedures that you need to follow.

Note approval will not be given unless the applicant can give adequate reasons as to why the vegetation cannot be reused, recycled or disposed of at a waste depot.


Burning wood, rubbish and vegetation in open fires and incinerators can cause smoke, which is a major cause of air pollution.
To protect the environment and your health, there are only certain situations when fires can be lit outside in NSW.
Smoke pollution can aggravate existing heart and lung problems like angina, emphysema and asthma. It can also cause
• itchy or burning eyes and throat irritations
• breathing difficulties and respiratory illnesses like bronchitis
• headaches, tiredness or chest pain
• decreased lung function in children.


Backyard burning and unauthorised incineration without permission prohibited in all council areas in the Warrumbungle Shire, and in other NSW council areas listed in Schedule 8 of the Clean Air Regulation.
Contact Council to find out what and when you can burn in your area and if a permit is required.
Part 3 of the Clean Air Regulation sets out the details of permitted and prohibited fires.
No-burn notices issued by the EPA or Total Fire Bans issued by the Rural Fire Service override any of these conditions except in specific circumstances.


In areas where backyard burning is prohibited, there are only certain situations where fires can be lit outside in NSW. These include
• barbecues or camping
• eligible hazard reduction work
• some agricultural purposes
• authorised fire-fighting training
No-burn notices issued by the EPA or Total Fire Bans issued by the Rural Fire Service override any of these conditions except in specific circumstances.
If you are planning to light an outside fire, you should check with the EPA, your local council or the NSW Rural Fire Service to make sure your fire is legal and obtain a permit to burn if needed.


If you are given a permit to burn, you must
• prevent or minimise air pollution
• not burn specified articles including tyres, coated wire, paint and solvent containers and certain treated timbers (for more information, ask your council)
• check with the EPA and your council whether any fire restrictions are in force for the period you plan to burn
No-burn notices issued by the EPA or Total Fire Bans issued by the Rural Fire Service override any permits obtained except in specific circumstances.

More Information :-

See the        Lighting a Fire - Quick Facts  for lighting Fires in other locations  

See the        Burning Off Flowchart  for more information.

Download    Form 1: Application to Burn Vegetation  

Download    Form 2: Application for Hazard Reduction Certificate

Download    Lighting a Fire on Private Property (above information as a PDF) 

Download    Before you Light that Fire (PDF)

Last Updated: 09 Nov 2020