1. Home
  2. breadcrumbs separator
  3. breadcrumbs separator
  4. breadcrumbs separator
  5. Stock Permits

Stock Permits

Please contact the Central West Local Land Service if you are seeking a Temporary Grazing Permit within the Warrumbungle Shire area.

Warrumbungle Shire Council Grazing Policy (view here) outlines the management of Temporary Grazing Permits within the Warrumbungle Shire Local Government area. The objective of this policy is to ensure that the process of granting Temporary Grazing Permits under Council's care are maintained and managed professionally.

The Issuing of Permits for a road is the responsibility of the Local Land Services (LLS). Councils role is to approve the permit for a maximum of one (1) month; upon checking of Insurance and insurance notation.

A permit may only be issued by the LLS and Warrumbungle Shire is in Central West LLS area.  For information and contact details for the Central West LLS click here. 

Council will not unreasonably refuse to grant approval of a permit. In particular, but without limiting the generality of this provision, Council will, subject to its obligations as a road authority, provide as much assistance as possible in times of drought or other natural difficulty or disaster. Council may charge a fee, pursuant to Section 608 of the Local Government Act 1993, for the granting of an approval, but that fee shall be related to the actual cost to the Council of processing an application for the approval.

Conditions of Council Agreement to Issue Permits

A permit is subject to the conditions prescribed in Section 94 of the Rural Lands Protection Act 1989.  A permit shall be subject to such other conditions as the Board prescribes, including:

  • a requirement for the display of stock warning signs in accordance with Section 96 of the Rural Lands Protection Act 1998; and
  • any conditions stipulated by the Council subject to its approval.

Council will stipulate as a condition of its approval that the permit holder shall indemnify it from all claims arising as a result of the presence of the stock on the road reserve - the subject of the permit - meaning that Warrumbungle Shire Council must be shown as an Interested Party on the Public Liability Certificate of Currency (to the value of $20,000,000).

The provisions of Section 94 of the Rural Lands Protection Act 1998 are to be observed strictly.

General Conditions

  • The LLS will notify, by way of confirmation to Council of the issue of every permit, the name and address of the permit holder, the duration of the permit and the conditions to which the permit is subject.
  • The LLS will not issue a permit in cases where the Council objects to the issue of the permit.
  • Council is not authorised to issue temporary grazing permits.
  • Unless there is a drought declaration, approval for the issue of permits will not be given to any landowner unless the permit sought is to land adjacent to the applicant’s property.
  • That no fee is charged for the granting of approvals issued by Council.

The above conditions apply for applications to graze cattle only on local roads controlled by Council.

For approval to issue a Permit on Regional Roads

Road and Maritme Services (RMS) Conditions of Permits - Regional Roads

The RMS controlled regional roads will only allocate Grazing Permits if there is a drought declaration for the region and the following additional conditions for applications for grazing on these regional roads apply: 

  • “Stock Ahead” signs – whatever sign is deemed appropriate by the LLS is to be displayed on both sides of the road formation on both approaches to the occupied area; monitoring of signs during the day is required to ensure that they give a timely warning and clear display to approaching traffic,
  • Stock at all times are to be under constant surveillance,
  • Stock are to be kept off the road formation at all times,
  • A hot wire is to be run for the extent of occupation to minimise the effect of cattle on road traffic movements.  The hot wire is to be located behind the existing guide post alignment,
  • At night, cattle are to be removed from the road reserve and securely fenced to prevent any cattle from straying onto the road,
  • In the event of wet weather, all stock is to be removed from the road reserve,
  • The holder of the permit is to indemnify the RMS from all claims arising as a result of the presence in the road reserve of the stock subject to the permit – this means that both the RMS and Warrumbungle Shire Council must be shown as Interested Parties on the Public Liability Certificate of Currency,
  • The approval of the relevant Council is obtained.
  • At the end of the grazing period, all fencing materials including posts, wires and electric tapes are to be removed from the road reserve.  Failure to do this will mean that Council will carry out these works at cost to the adjoining property owner and/or the person who made application for grazing rights.
  • Stay on designated regional roads unless specified by council

The Regional Roads in Warrumbungle Shire are:

  • MR 129 (Coonabarabran – Premer, Baradine - Coonamble)
  • MR 329 (Baradine – Gwabegar)
  • MR 4053 (Timor Road)
  • MR 396 (Coonabarabran – Coolah)
  • MR 55 (Coolah – Mullaley)
  • MR 618 (Coolah – Merriwa)
  • MR 7519 (Mendooran – Dubbo)

Applications to graze stock on the following Highways or MR 334 must be obtained direct from the RMS Parkes Office Ph: 131 782 (PO Box 334 PARKES 2870)

  • Newell Highway
  • Oxley Highway
  • MR 334 (Mendooran Road)
  • Golden Highway (Merriwa – Dubbo)
  • Castlereagh Highway (Mudgee – Gilgandra)

Stock permits

You can obtain a stock movement permit from your Local Land Services office, contact 1300 795 299. Permit fees may vary according to region, so you are advised to contact your Local Land Services before sending in your application form.

For information about Stock Permits please visit Local Land Services website click here.

There are four classes of stock permits, as outlined under the Local Land Services Act 2013:

  • Walking Stock Permit
  • Grazing Stock Permit
  • Roadside Grazing Stock Permit
  • Annual Stock Movement Permit.

Stock routes

Travelling Stock Reserves (TSRs) are parcels of Crown land reserved under legislation for use by travelling stock. Local Land Services manage over 500 000 hectares of TSRs in NSW. 

TSRs provide pasture reserves for travelling or grazing stock. These reserves can be beneficial in times of drought, bushfire or flood. They are also used for public recreation, apiary sites and for conservation. 

Local Land Services manage the land to strike a balance between the needs of travelling or grazing stock and the conservation of native species. 

For information about Stock Routes please visit Local Lands Services website click here.

Using TRSs

The key requirements for moving stock on a Travelling Stock Reserve (TSR) or along a public road are summarised below.  For a full list of the requirements you should contact Local Land Services:

  • You must obtain a permit
  • Stock must be deemed free of disease before entering a TSR or public road.
  • Walking stock are to travel only the route specified on the permit.
  • Stock may only be walked over TSRs between sunrise and sunset.
  • Stock must be yarded at night in a secure holding paddock or approved freestanding break. 
  • Grazing or walking stock must be adequately controlled at all times.
  • There are restrictions on the use of TSRs including camping, use of water, timber, fences and equipment.
  • You must apply for a stock permit at least 2 working days in advance and must notify the biosecurity officer at the relevant Local Land Services region of any variation in the journey.
  • Approved stock warning signs (see below) must be displayed when stock are walking or grazing near or on a roadway.
  • The mob size allowed on a TSR will depend on factors such as seasonal conditions, water availability and other conditions.

Using stock warning signs

Approved black and yellow stock warning signs, available from your Local Land Services office, must be displayed when stock are walking or grazing near or on a road. Signs must be:

  • displayed when stock are being walked or grazed along or within 300 metres of a public road except where a stock proof fence separates the stock from the road.
  • positioned so that a motorist is warned of the presence or likely presence of stock a reasonable distance before the vehicle would first encounter the stock.
  • clearly visible to motorists who approach stock in either direction.
  • positioned so that there is not more than 5 kilometres and not less than 200 metres between the sign and a place where a vehicle being driven towards the stock would first encounter them.

Requirements may vary between districts, you should on contact LLS on 1300 795 299 before you plan to move stock or for information on the requirements for using stock warning signs.

For information about TSRs please visit Local Lands Services website http://www.lls.nsw.gov.au/livestock/stock-routes/using-tsrs

Last Updated: 14 Jul 2020