1. Home
  2. breadcrumbs separator
  3. breadcrumbs separator
  4. Building Services

Building Services

All development proposals in NSW must be assessed to ensure they comply with relevant planning controls and, according to their nature and scale, that they are environmentally and socially sustainable. State, regional and local plans and policies indicate what level of assessment is required.

Only deal with a builder or tradesperson who is licensed with the Department of Fair Trading.

Before you sign anything from a builder or tradesperson:

  • Ask them for a copy of their licence card
  • Go to www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au or call 133220 and make sure the contractor is licensed for the work you want done.
  • Anyone doing residential work over $1000 in value (or specialist work) must have a licence 

Information for Plumbers and Drainers in Regional NSW

With the introduction of the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2011 from 1 January 2013 Fair Trading will become the state's single plumbing and drainage regulator for all on-site plumbing and drainage works.

NSW Fair Trading will be delegating inspection and enforcement powers to regional councils so they may continue conducting plumbing and drainage inspections.

The Notice of Work and Certificate of Compliance forms can be downloaded for completion.

Last Updated: 10 Feb 2020