1. Home
  2. breadcrumbs separator
  3. breadcrumbs separator
  4. Hazard Reduction Burning

Burning Off and Hazard Reduction


LIGHTING A FIRE on Private Property -  DURING the Bush Fire Danger Period 

[ 1st October till 31st March ]

( Rural Agricultural Burn (not called a Hazard Reduction Burn)

The Bush Fire Period for the Warrumbungle Shire Council area is from the 1st October till 31st March annually. This may be varied, depending on conditions from the Castlereagh Bush Fire Management Committee (BFMC) During the Bush Fire Danger Period you require a FIRE PERMIT issued from the Rural Fire Service ( see your local Captain or ring the Fire Control Centre at Coonabarabran) or for town residents contact your Captain of the NSW Fire & Rescue Brigade. Legal conditions on the Fire Permit, must be followed. Infringement fines will apply if burning without a permit.  For more information see  www.rfs.nsw.gov.au  or contact Castlereagh Zone Office during office hours on 6826 6300 or FAX  6842 2932


During the non Bush Fire Danger Period, Landowners must still give notice when lighting a fire to the RFS and Neighbours: under section 86 of the Rural Fires Act 1997 and Section 33 of the Rural Fire Regulations 2013. To give notice of lighting a fire on your land, you must provide 24 Hours Notice before lighting. Notification is by phone to the Castlereagh Zone,  any time. Leave details of your name, address, location from nearest town, type of burn and period of burn, with a maximum of 3 weeks notice for each burn period.    Fire Notification Line is 1300 557 876


You cannot burn garden or any other rubbish in an incinerator in your backyard, on vacant land or on roads, without permission. You must contact the Rural Fire Service or, if in town, the NSW Fire Brigade, if you are planning to light a fire on your property for fuel reduction purposes.  Hazard Reduction Certificates can be issued to burn on some road side areas controlled by Council, subject to the Rural Fire Service rules and procedures that you need to follow.

Note approval will not be given unless the applicant can give adequate reasons as to why the vegetation cannot be reused, recycled or disposed of at a waste depot.


More Information :-

See the       Lighting a Fire - Quick Facts  for lighting Fires in other locations  

See the        Burning Off Flowchart  for more information.

Download     Form 1: Application to Burn Vegetation

Download     Form 2: Application for Hazard Reduction Certificate

Download    Lighting a Fire on Private Property (above information as a PDF) 

Download     Before you Light that Fire (PDF)

Last Updated: 27 Sep 2018